Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Insecurities

Tadpole has hit her requisite hour in the crib and just went back to sleep after some fussing.  I've either got plenty of time to write this post (in fact, would have time to be productive on NaNo, which I should be doing), or I'll be getting up in less than 2 minutes when she reawakens.  Honestly, you won't know the difference, since you'll get this post sooner or later anyway.

Tadpole and I start swim class tomorrow.  I'm extremely excited, since it's been a long time since I was in a pool, but swimming used to be a big part of my life (swam competitively in high school, lifeguarded & taught swim classes in high school & college, though mostly 4-9 year olds.  I watched/assisted some infant swim classes, but never taught).

Despite (because of?) how excited I am about the classes, I'm actually pretty nervous.  This is my first outing with just Tadpole and other children when I don't already know the parents/children (other than a somewhat disastrous meeting at a recent pumpkin patch where I stood and watched R mingle with other parents).  So far, this insecurity has primarily manifested itself in email questions - I'm still not sure if these were justified or not.

I dutifully picked up some swim diapers recently, but there aren't swimsuits available in October/November, so I figured Tadpole could just wear her diaper.  I'm actually proud that I checked ahead of time, since it turns out she does need to have a suit, triggering a frantic scramble (thanks for the loaner C!).  We did eventually get an email with this notification - less than 1 day before the class starts, but almost a week after we were informed of the parking arrangements.  Slightly annoyed, but I only made a nuisance of myself by emailing to ask a couple days early.  Not that bad, right?

Then today we finally did get the email with the final arrangements, including information that we would (not could, would) leave our personal belongings in a locker in the ladies changing room.  Um.  Hrm.  That doesn't really work for a dad.  Tadpole isn't quite capable of opening the locker after she crawls in to get our stuff, and honestly, I'm not sure she'd remember which locker was which.  So I sent off another email ... turns out the men's room is also open, so I can leave my stuff there.  (The original email was chock full of restrictions about where we could park, how long we could be in the changing rooms, and what facilities we weren't allowed to use - I don't think it was entirely unreasonable for me to worry that they might not have planned to open the men's changing room, but maybe so?)

Anyway - swim class starts tomorrow!  We have a swimsuit for Tadpole and a place to leave our personal belongings!  woo hoo!?  Hopefully all complications are over other than actually meeting other parents, Tadpole wanting to drink the water, a longer car ride than I've ever done with Tadpole by myself before ... so excited ...

But hey - maybe the hardest part will be the emails.
(No complications on the blog post - Tadpole's going long for nap two.  Way to go baby girl!)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the swim class tomorrow! It sounds like you did really well figuring out the logistics.

    ReplyDelete