Friday, October 28, 2011

Stay-at-home-dad Review: Shedd Aquarium

Tadpole and I walked over to the Shedd Aquarium and got a membership today. This was her first trip, and my second, but we got a membership so we'll be back at least a few more times.

I want to like the Shedd.  I really do.  There are jellyfish, meaning that I can actually do research for my NaNoWriMo novel when I take Tadpole.  (because while I know not-nearly-enough about this book-to-be, it WILL have space jellyfish!)  Plus, there are a lot of other really cool aquatic creatures (heceforth referred to as fish).

Tadpole likes the Shedd, which is a plus.  She likes looking around at all of the people a lot.  When we're close to the glass & she notices the fish swimming, she likes them too.  I have a feeling that if we go, we're going to spend a lot of time in front of the aquarium at the entrance, which is full of fish, including at least one shark & a turtle.  I'm guessing she'll also be entranced by the otters going back and forth, back and forth.  She wasn't a huge fan of the couple of smaller fish displays, but there are enough big displays (and people!) to keep her occupied, which is good.  Meanwhile I can watch her smile & not worry so much about the animals penned up in a relatively small space endlessly testing the barriers of their confinement.  (The first of two reasons I have trouble with the Shedd).

So, Review:

Logistics (the second of two reasons I have trouble with the Shedd): For us, the Shedd is about a 20 minute walk.  For others, the #146 bus, which can be accessed from at least the Red, Orange, Green, and Blue line trains is the public transit option.  Parking is close by, and it's right on LSD, so there's a beautiful bik path available.  Once you get to the Shedd, you will stand in line.  The first time R and I went, we went through general admission on a summer weekend and probably spent over an hour in line.  Today, it looked more like about 20 minutes or so, but was difficult to judge, since I got to jump the line by getting a membership!  Our wait was about 10 minutes, and even once I get the member card, we'll still have to get in line to pick up a bracelet, so you will stand in line.

Feeding/Changing the baby: There's a pretty depressing lunchroom that I visited today.  I'm pretty sure this was the wrong decision, and should really only be used by families with exhausted children who need some privacy or school groups.  In fact, it's probably only for school groups.  There are lots of overpriced vending machines, but no way to acquire actual food.  My memory is that R and I had lunch at a cafeteria farther in the Shedd the last time we were there -probably what I should have done with Tadpole.  Also didn't change her, since our round trip was only about 90 minutes & she didn't seem uncomfortable.  I have to imagine that there are changing tables readily available in family-friendly bathrooms.  Note to self - now that I'm a stay at home dad, those maps that places hand out are a lot more relevant for exactly this reason.  Check that in the future!  (So basically, I failed at these, I'll have to revisit the Shedd to properly review them for next time)

Activities: There are people.  And interesting fish.  Tadpole cares about the people more, at least for now. There are movies & lots of other activities as well - if you can't stay entertained at the Shedd with children, you're probably doing it wrong.

Bottom line: I need to work out how to handle an hour of commute time when Tadpole's space between naps is 2 hours, and there's about 20-30 minutes of transition time in there as well.  We spent about 10 minutes in the Shedd this time - must do better next time.

Most important fact: DO NOT place the wristbands on you incorrectly such that the adhesive will touch your skin.  It hurts to remove & takes your arm hair with it.

Gotta run - Tadpole just woke up!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like there was plenty to explore. I'll be curious to hear what you think of trips in winter months.

    ReplyDelete